Game Ideas

Welcome! We’d love to hear your ideas for the game itself. Before submitting your own ideas, please check out the ideas marked as WILL DO or WON’T DO using the drop boxes below.

What are your ideas for the game?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Character appearance changes as story evolves [contrast with customizable characters or static characters]

Rather than building a completely new character and styling it however you want, what if we were given a selection of initial portraits / appearances of the *same* character, and those appearances changed according to how we played the game?

* Select from a couple of initial poses that cast the same character in different lights, according to player preference

* As you play the game, the character's hair grows. They can cut it if they want at any time

* Becoming seriously injured as a function of the story might leave the character scared or burned... choose to…

2,004 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    considering  ·  66 comments  ·  Art and Graphics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. A losing enemy shouldn't fight you to the death and perhaps non-lethal combat

For example, a couple of thugs stand in the entrance of an alley and demand you pay a tithe for passage. You refuse, making them hostile. After butchering a bunch, the leader, if he's still alive, would try to intervene and beg for mercy. Now you can demand a tithe, let them off, or mercilessly murder them, influencing your alignment, of course.
    If you killed the leader already and them thugs sense your power, they should just disperse, like a morale failure in PS:T.
    The same can be done with enemies with loads of HP, who after reaching like 15%…

1,845 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  58 comments  ·  Combat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Currency Sinks

In cRPGs players often find that they collect money throughout the game, becoming fabulously wealthy, often in disproportion to the gameworld. There’s nothing wrong with allowing players to accrue wealth and we certainly enjoy both collecting money, maximising the systems and feeling ‘successful’. The real problem is that such wealth is almost never utilised. We spend dozens of hours bartering, flogging and hauling ass for in game money – quest rewards so often are monetary and frequently moral choices come down to money too (the typical “greedy” moral choice). But we never use it!

In most games, vendor items are…

1,618 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Story  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. No time limit on the game.

I know George Ziets is on the team now and I'm really glad, but the big problem I had with NWN2 the mask of the betrayer was the constant time limit, the Devour Spirit system was constantly pushing you to move on, even forced you to move on and stops you from exploring the world. Please don't make the game rush you and push you on its own speed, let the player take its time to explore and discover at his own pace, I know sometimes it's good to have some need of urgency but not all the time, dont…

1,579 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    40 comments  ·  Overall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We don’t plan to have one overall time limit for the game. However, we do intend to use time limit mechanics for individual quests if the narrative dictates it, and we do intend to use pressure mechanics to give real gameplay consequences as appropriate for the situation.

We do not plan for any time limits to be based on real-world elapsed time. But, for example, if a building were on fire and you went away and came back later, you should expect the building to have burned to the ground (unless, for example, someone else extinguished the fire in your absence, but that in turn would lead to different consequences).

5. Take all the time you need.

My biggest fear is that as this project nears the deadline, it could be "rushed". I know the developers don't want to do that, so this is a request to the fans instead. Please do not get angry if a delay is announced. A delay is only a few months to a year or so, but a bad game is bad forever. I for one donated with the expectation of delays, and while I will certainly be very eager by that point, I am willing to wait as long as it takes for the developers to make this game exactly…

1,504 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Overall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Possibility to use spells during dialogs.

My favorite type of main hero is mage. And it always made me sad that I can't use spells during dialogues if I forgot to cast it before a dialogue. For example "Charm" on NPC, different buffs of any type on main character himself, maybe some debuffs on NPC with the aim to weaken his/her wits, to persuade easily, or reflexes, if you know that after the next answer you will be fighting.

1,453 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  34 comments  ·  Dialogue and Description  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Multi-Chapter Side Quests

Side quests are an integral part of any classic RPG but so many of them are 1-shot missions. Even if they have a couple of parts most stories end far too quickly in my opinion. So you've rescued the farmer's daughter...then what? Their failing farm is magically safe for the rest of the game?

Worse, interesting NPCs and storylines only exist for a small percentage of the game. That clever little rascal may only occupy an hour of your time and then you never have to see him again.

But what if the story keeps going? What if the farm…

1,307 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  15 comments  ·  Story  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Subvert "character slots" mechanic

The toughest decisions I had to make in the original PS:T (also Balder's Gate and similar games) were which companions to dismiss when I have a full roster and encounter a new potential party member -- and where I am when I do it. If I abandon a friend somewhere dangerous I may be leaving them to die (in Balder's Gate they tended to disappear in a rather worrying fashion). Any time I dismiss someone, I miss out on the rest of their story, and I don't get the benefit of their skills any more.

The problem with this is…

1,282 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  102 comments  ·  Companions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I'd love to see characters visually change as they journey with you

I'd love to see companions change over time as you journey with them. I don't only mean grow as people and characters through the story, but also visually in some way. In PST the characters were pretty static, wouldn't it have been great that as you progress with Mordon he grew or evolved visually.

Another small example in Torment was Dak'kon's sword changing when he "knew" more.

I'd love to see more of this visual growth so that characters really change over time as they journey with you. The longer you have them as a companion and the more you…

1,239 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  11 comments  ·  Companions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make dialogue less obviously 'right'

Preface: PS:T is my favourite game.

There is a big problem that I have with a lot of the dialogue in Planescape: Torment. Whilst the game is rightly renowned for its excellent dialogue, it always seems to me on replays that this breaks down whenever The Nameless One debates anything with any other NPC.

Whilst I loved arguing in Planescape, it really doesn't require any intellectual involvement on behalf of the player, since when you've created an Int/Wis character, it basically just involves constantly picking the longest and the obviously clever option which will win the debate.

I just wish…

1,238 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    35 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to Directly Modify Your Body [Equipable Bodyparts]

Swap out that boring flesh and blood for all sorts of crazy things:

~Classic mechanical prosthetics!
    ~Living Crystals!
    ~Specialized Tissue grafts!
    ~Various Computer parts!
    ~Pretty much anything!

The equip-able eye and tattoo thing from PS:T was refreshing and it would be similarly great to see more items along that vein.

As with any item in the Numenera setting the possibilities are endless. Who knows how the previous civilizations took to altering their bodies to better adapt to their environment.

1,224 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  31 comments  ·  Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. No check point save system.

Well like the title says, stick with the old school "save and load" whenever you want, except in battles and in specific areas but you get my point ;)
    Don't do anything new on this please.
    This idea came from listening today the radio chat of Colin McComb and Kevin Saunders on ustream.

1,192 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  34 comments  ·  Overall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. NPCs that speak a language the PC can't understand

One of the cool things about PS:T was the various characters that you couldn't understand. You either had to have a translater or had to learn their language. You couldn't be sure of exactly what was lost in translation if you relied on a translator.

One of the less cool things was that it was usually just a matter of having enough INT or WIS and asking someone to learn how to speak it. So have languages the PC can never learn, or learns over time building proficiency (and maybe slowly realizes how the previously trusted translator was skewing his…

1,144 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  21 comments  ·  Dialogue and Description  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Companions Have Their Own Lives and Worlds

Let companions have their own worries, lives and things to do. When you arrive at a city, one may want to go to rest, she could feel sick or even may receive a letter and have to leave for a while forcing you to try and survive on your own or buy some small stuff on her own when you're, let's say, walking through the market, forcing you to wait in the market or decide to meet her later.

Even though the player may critically need his specific companion on any given time, companions just running with you which you…

1,117 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  18 comments  ·  Companions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Reward player for knowing his companions

As opposite to "PC can award bonus XP to their favorite companions", I suggest to let the player unlock special abilities of his companions through:
    - having conversations with them
    - taking special quests from them
    - collecting information about them as it was done in original Torment

1,106 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Environment interaction and item usage akin to adventure games

Many RPGs are kind of "stiff" in that everything is either dialog, or combat, within very defined systems. The world just feels like a backdrop, and items are either useless, purely for mood or combat tools.

I would like to see examinable parts of the backdrop, and a general mechanism for applying items on each other and the environment, so that items you find may or may not serve a purpose. This makes you think more about your environments and the items you find, and it gives you a kick when you discover a cool use for something. It adds…

1,065 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  23 comments  ·  Overall  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. include beautiful 2D art for inventory items

The Baldur's Gate series had cool 2D drawings for each inventory item, shown next to the detailed item description.

Examples:

http://bit.ly/XUJDao
    http://bit.ly/ZV8pTl
    http://bit.ly/11aae3Y

I think this added a lot to the game's atmosphere and immersion, and thus it would be cool to have something similar (maybe using a different art style?) in Torment.

PS: This is a counter-idea to https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3757316-ability-to-view-items-in-inventory-in-3d

1,040 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Romance!

My favorite part of any RPG is the romance element. I may be the only one to admit that, I am not (by a long shot) the only one who feels this way.

If the romance-able characters are voice by Asa Seigel or Nathan Fillion, I will do something unseemly where only my monitor can witness.

Just kidding. I will do SEVERAL unseemly somethings where only my monitor can witness.

986 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    168 comments  ·  Story  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

From Update 6:
    We’ve been asked some questions about what types of relationships the PC might have with their companions. Our position is this: adhering to our four pillars, we are going to craft nontraditional, complex, and believable characters. We are going to develop the companions with enough depth that we understand their motivations and personality. And then we will write them to respond appropriately to the situations they encounter. Love, which comes in many forms, is certainly relevant when exploring themes of legacy, abandonment, and mystery – and we expect to explore this emotion in ways that fits the story and characters. Meaningful friendships, even feelings of affection, will be possible, but relationships of the flesh would be inconsistent with our narrative.

19. Turn Based combat.

I am surprised to see that this option has yet not appeared in the new section.

Turn Based Combat (of the variety of types starting from DnD based Move/Action to Fallout based Action points) is based on the common motif of the Turn performed according to the position at the Initiative sequence. It is slow and time consuming, but more open to party based games where a lot of options need to be considered including terrain and placement. It is also easier to design a working AI for which can actually make battles harder not because of chaotic running around…

965 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    132 comments  ·  Combat  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We believe our goals for combat design are independent of the specific system used. Soon we will design and present two or three combat systems that we believe will work well with our goals, and we’ll leave it to the backers to decide the specific system.

20. Add the guy with the yellow shirt at the party to the game.

He looked like he needed someone to talk to, so let's let everyone talk to him.

960 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    considering  ·  197 comments  ·  Dialogue and Description  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 63 64
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base