What are your ideas for the game?

I'd love to see characters visually change as they journey with you

I'd love to see companions change over time as you journey with them. I don't only mean grow as people and characters through the story, but also visually in some way. In PST the characters were pretty static, wouldn't it have been great that as you progress with Mordon he grew or evolved visually.

Another small example in Torment was Dak'kon's sword changing when he "knew" more.

I'd love to see more of this visual growth so that characters really change over time as they journey with you. The longer you have them as a companion and the more you learn about their story the more pronounced the visual change as well.

1,239 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
GarodGarod shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • BlackyBlacky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First, yes.

Second, don't limit yourself to how a character look. How it sounds is as important as how it looks.

Third, doesn't need to be big everytime. Small things, subtle things could sometimes work better.

• smudboysmudboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has the same issues and problems of this:
    https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/197950-game-ideas/suggestions/3749447-character-appearance-changes-as-story-evolves-con

Limiting it to one character (the main one) would make more sense.

However, I see nothing wrong with having dynamic companions that grow and change during the story, to have actual growth and change (visual and personality.)

Still a tall order. The simplest I can think of is in KotOR 2, as you can influence your companions as going light or dark side.

Now, if this can be tied into not only main plot points, but their personal subquests, that would allow for great replay value.

Simplest:
    Portrait and dialog/personality changes
    Difficult:
    +a series of character specific subquests tied into the main plot, with item/herloom changes/personality changes and relationship changes.
    The top:
    +Completely different dialog lines, personality alteration (e.g. Jack becomes way more human), animation, portraits, fighting, class styles, random impromptu conversations, etc.

• lambchoplambchop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Imagine if you were in the habit of recklessly throwing your companions into combat and then just spamming healing potions later. What if your companions would start to get scars over time? Maybe it'd make you more concerned with their immediate well being. Pretty cool idea.

• n0mDePlumen0mDePlume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm giving this three votes because I think it can tie into the crafting system.

I suggest giving the characters all unique, custom appearances - even if they're human, do NOT have us dressing them in whatever clothes we pick up.

Instead, give each of them some options for upgraded outfits (or bodies) which we can craft for them at certain points in the storyline. Even if it just looks a different color or something.

It would be nice if each character had at least two upgraded appearances, each representing a different direction they could specialize in.

• MindQuadMindQuad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like this idea. It's a simple thing but i like it when characters aren't static in their appearance. Plus it gives the player a visual representation of how the character is developing throughout the story.

• praguepridepraguepride commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this does become popular, I would like the changes to be events that happen in-game. Fable has a terrible system where you just suddenly sprout horns and nobody cares or notices.

Instead if say, the Cold Calculating Jack becomes less cold and calculating maybe it's as simple as her lowering her hood. While if she becomes more cold and calculating she buys a mask at the next town and bundles up even more.

Simple things like that, probably with a prompted dialogue sequence ala BG2 with your companion development storylines.

• AlderethAldereth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially true since we are going to get fewer combats and more focus on character and plot development. Sometimes, visual change convey more about a character's change.

• praguepridepraguepride commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always enjoyed the appearance changes throughout FF Tactics or Ogre Battle 64. Perhaps link it to Tides & Legacies etc.

• Anon Of HollandAnon Of Holland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a great idea and I'd love to see it implemented where it makes sense and doesn't cost too much time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base